- Last checked August 2018. All controls are in place.
- The area is generally in very good condition as at mid-August but beware the central track near control C is still boggy.
- Controls B, K, W, CC may become overgrown in Summer.
Orienteering map details
- A4 Portrait, Scale 1:5000. Last updated 2017.
- The North Start/Finish is a track junction just off the South-East corner of the main car park (the red marker above).
- The South Start/Finish is a path junction 500m walk along Fogg Lane from the main road, and a further 300m from the Northmost end of the Crompton’s Lodges car parking areas (the orange marker) – which will effectively add 1.6km to the course lengths.
How to get a map
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- Or order any map by post by downloading the Map order form
- K Car Parks
- Main car park – From M60(J15) take M61 (Preston) and exit at J2 on to Bolton Spur. Take first exit along spur and follow A6053 through Farnworth. After 1 mile, at traffic lights where A6053 turns sharp R under flyover towards Little Lever, go straight on then first right under flyover, following Darcy Lever signs. After crossing River Croal, car park is 250m on the right, just before a left bend. NB. As of summer 2018 this car park appears to be permanently closed
- OS Grid Reference: SD 735 077, Post Code: BL3 1SD
- South car park – signed from A6053 East of A666 flyover. This is Crompton’s Lodges Permanent Orienteering Course car park – but go to the Northmost end.
- OS Grid Reference: SD 742 069, Post Code: BL4 7QN.
Other useful information
- Parks contact: by website only www.bolton.gov.uk
- Bolton Council web site – Parks Information
- Wikipedia entry for Moses Gate Country Park
- Wikipedia entry for Darcy Lever
- GPS Cycle and Walking Route for Moses Gate Country Park
- Maintained by Bolton Council.
- Postwatchers, please click [replace id=”inpection_link_cl”] to submit your report.