- Last checked September 2021. Everything OK, though vegetation is high and W is hard to find. There is hogweed on the East side of the course (around CC, N, M, Q).
- Major work is under way on the main path from S1 through to C, which is now passable without swimming.
- Be careful as giant hogweed is encroaching near some of the controls.
- Also note that the car park near the Northern start is no longer usable, so access is actually easiest from the car park for Moses Gate Crompton’s Lodges!
- Controls B, K, M, W, X, CC may become overgrown in Summer.
Orienteering map details
- A4 Portrait, Scale 1:5000. Last updated December 2020.
- The North Start/Finish is a track junction just off the South-East corner of the disused car park (the red marker above).
- The South Start/Finish is a path junction 500m walk along Fogg Lane from the main road, and a further 300m from the Northmost end of the Crompton’s Lodges car parking areas (the orange marker) – which will effectively add 1.6km to the course lengths.
How to get a map
Moses Gate Darcy Lever waterproof print£1.75
Moses Gate Darcy Lever PDF£1.75
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- Unfortunately there is no dedicated Car Park. See Directions below for access to the 2 Starts
- For the North Start (red marker) – From M60(J15) take M61 (Preston) and exit at J2 on to Bolton Spur. Take first exit along spur and follow A6053 through Farnworth. After 1 mile, at traffic lights where A6053 turns sharp R under flyover towards Little Lever, go straight on then first right under flyover, following Darcy Lever signs. After crossing River Croal, the parking area shown on the map is 250m on the right, just before a left bend. However, this parking area is currently closed.
- OS Grid Reference: SD 735 077, Post Code: BL3 1SD
- For the South Start – signed from A6053 East of A666 flyover. This is Crompton’s Lodges Permanent Orienteering Course car park (orange marker) – but go to the Northmost end of it, and take care walking along and crossing the A6053. Distance from car park to Start is 800m.
- OS Grid Reference: SD 742 069, Post Codes: BL4 7QS
Other useful information
- Parks contact: by website only www.bolton.gov.uk
- Bolton Council web site – Parks Information
- Wikipedia entry for Moses Gate Country Park
- Wikipedia entry for Darcy Lever
- GPS Cycle and Walking Route for Moses Gate Country Park
- Maintained by GMOA, supported by Bolton Council.
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.