- Last checked October 2023. Everything OK.
- Contractors are still visiting and working in different places so watch out for vehicles, even away from the road and carpark. The map has been revised this year so if you are using an old one you may spot some differences e.g. new paths and furniture that are not on your map.
- 28/2/2023 – map updated with new footpath and trim trail; control X moved, control 4 moved, control R restored close to where it used to be. Invest in a new map !!
- The Jersey Girls ice cream parlour on Woodhill Rd (the main approach to the Burrs) is highly recommended.
- All the plaques have been replaced with new ones with a generic QR code rather than using the MOBO app. Also, controls 15, 24, Y have been moved 20m or so to new features; controls 22 and 23 have been removed due to increased traffic along the cobbled road.
- The cafe and pub are now open more frequently and the East Lancs Railway stops at the Burrs Halt.
- NB. Country Park controls are all identified by letters and have symbols/shapes as answers. Activity Centre controls are all identified by numbers and have letters as answers. As the courses overlap, it is possible to be confused, sorry !
Orienteering map details
- Burrs Country Park – A4 portrait, Scale 1:4000. Last updated 2023.
- Burrs Activity Centre – A4 landscape, Scale 1:2500. Last updated 2023.
- The Start for Country Park courses is on a noticeboard just North of the Activity Centre. The Activity Centre N start is on a brick wall to the West, and the S start on the South side of the bridge round the corner to the SouthEast.
How to get a map
Burrs Country Park waterproof print£1.00
Burrs Country Park PDF£1.00
Burrs Activity Centre waterproof print£0.75
Burrs Activity Centre PDF£0.75
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- K Car Parks d Toilets Cafe z Playground X Picnic areas
- Toilets only available in Cafe or pub
- The new Lamppost cafe is now open every day except Monday and Tuesday.
- Brown Cow pub is close by, offering food and facilities.
- From W side of Bury town centre, follow B6214 towards Ramsbottom from A58. After 400 metres fork R on to Woodhill Road and follow to end. Park is signed from A58.
- OS Grid Reference: SD 799 127. Postcode (Activity Centre) BL8 1DA
- Public transport options
Other useful information
- Activity Centre Manager – 0161 764 9649
- Parks and Countryside – 0161 253 5353
- Bury Council website for the Country Park
- Wikipedia entry for Burrs Country Park
- Friends of Burrs Country Park Facebook page
- Caravan Club website for Burrs Country Park
- Visit Manchester website for Burrs Country Park
- Cycling and Walking routes
- Irwell Sculpture Trail
- Maintained by GMOA, supported by Bury Council.
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.