- Last checked May 2021. All controls on both courses here are present and accessible, though be aware that over the summer some can be hidden by undergrowth.
The cafe and pub are now open more frequently and the East Lancs Railway stops at the Burrs Halt.
The footbridge close to IF (Country Park course) is awkward to use, consider approaching from the other direction.
The field with controls 21, 22 and 23 on the Activity Centre course is now used as an overflow carpark on busy days. 21 and 23 can be reached without crossing the parking area but we recommend not visiting 22 if the carpark is in use. Everything OK.
- NB. Country Park controls are all identified by letters and have symbols/shapes as answers. Activity Centre controls are all identified by numbers and have letters as answers. As the courses overlap, it is possible to be confused, sorry !
- All controls on both courses were set up in 2016 with plaques displaying MOBO QR codes, so that scanning the QR code with your smartphone is recorded on the MOBO web site. Take-up of this idea has been disappointing, and over time the condition of a few of the plaques has degraded so they may well not scan any more. We have decided not to spend effort maintaining a full MOBO capability, but you are welcome to have a go and see how much works for you (for full details of how to get going, check out our MOBO page).
Orienteering map details
- Burrs Country Park – A4 portrait, Scale 1:4000. Last updated 2020.
- Burrs Activity Centre – A4 landscape, Scale 1:2500. Last updated 2020.
- The Start for Country Park courses is on a noticeboard just North of the Activity Centre. The Activity Centre N start is on a brick wall to the West, and the S start on the South side of the bridge round the corner to the SouthEast.
How to get a map
Burrs Country Park waterproof print£1.00
Burrs Country Park PDF£1.00
Burrs Activity Centre waterproof print£0.75
Burrs Activity Centre PDF£0.75
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- K Car Parks d Toilets Cafe z Playground X Picnic areas
- Toilets only available in Cafe or pub
- The new Lamppost cafe is now open every day except Monday and Tuesday.
- Brown Cow pub is close by, offering food and facilities.
- From W side of Bury town centre, follow B6214 towards Ramsbottom from A58. After 400 metres fork R on to Woodhill Road and follow to end. Park is signed from A58.
- OS Grid Reference: SD 799 127. Postcode (Activity Centre) BL8 1DA
Other useful information
- Activity Centre Manager – 0161 764 9649
- Parks and Countryside – 0161 253 5353
- Bury Council website for the Country Park
- Wikipedia entry for Burrs Country Park
- Friends of Burrs Country Park Facebook page
- Caravan Club website for Burrs Country Park
- Visit Manchester website for Burrs Country Park
- Cycling and Walking routes
- Irwell Sculpture Trail
- Maintained by GMOA, supported by Bury Council.
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.