- Last checked October 2023. Everything OK, and autumn/winter is a good time to visit Chesham Woods as the vegetation has died back and the controls are easier to find. Some areas of the woods are very wet and slippery so take care. .
- NB. post Y has been moved about 20m North along its ditch – out of the brambles.
- The Green Community Cafe is not yet full re-opened but the Jubilee Centre cafe is usually open Monday to Friday, please check if refreshments are essential!.
- NB. cafe opening times have been affected by the pandemic so check in advance. For the most up-to-date information contact details try:
- As vegetation grows access to LL, T and IT can be tricky. In the wooded sections full leg covering is advised as there are lots of brambles and nettles.
- NB. old maps indicate the S/F being on the South side of the steps, but it was moved to the North side.
Orienteering map details
- A4 landscape, Scale 1:5000. Last updated March 2020.
- The Start is on the East side of the car park, on the North side of the steps.
How to get a map
Chesham Woods waterproof print£1.25
Chesham Woods PDF£1.25
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- K Car Park d Toilets Cafe z Playground
- No toilets in park, but Green Community Cafe (Mon-Fri) (0161 253 6000) has toilets
- AGE UK Jubilee Centre Cafe (Mon-Fri) (0161 673 9030) outdoor sales to under-50’s
- During the week there are two cafes literally on the permanent course !
- From E end of Bury town centre, follow A56 N (Walmersley Road) for 1/2 mile. Turn R on to Royal Avenue. Car park is on R after sharp L turn.
- OS Grid Reference: SD 809 122. Postcode: BL9 6NG.
- Public transport options
Other useful information
- Parks and Countryside: 0161 253 5353
- Bury Council web site for Chesham Woods Nature Reserve
- Bury Council web site for Clarence Park
- Woodland Trust web site for Chesham Woods
- VisitBury web site for Chesham Woods
- Natural England web site for Chesham Woods
- Facebook page for the Green Community Cafe
- Maintained by GMOA, supported by Bury Council.
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.