- NB: as of late December 2017, the Yeoman Hay car park and toilets are closed until April 2018 according to the notice there. And, even more awkward for us, the dam is also closed between D and N.
- Last fully checked January 2018. Everything OK … but we discovered that the circle for post Y was quite significantly misplaced, and this has now been fixed.
- Previous notes … the undergrowth is again causing problems, with several posts, Y and H especially, to a lesser extent DD and N, proving difficult to find in the ferns.
- On the Trail O course all posts were visible at 1, 4, 5, 7, 10 & 12; 2 posts visible at 2 and 6; 1 post visible at 8 & 9; no posts visible at 3 & 11.
- (NB. May 2017: post P moved away from unpleasant litter; post EE moved away from bracken; post BB moved to below the fence. The old posts have been left in place, so old maps will still work for a while.)
Orienteering and Trail-O map details
- Orienteering map – A4 portrait, Scale 1:10000. Last updated April 2017, to reflect work around Binn Green and rhododhendron clearances, and January 2018 with a new path.
- Trail-O map – A4 portrait, Scale 1:6000. Created 1999, last updated 2012.
- Start S1 is about 500m SouthEast of the Car Park, along the road past the Sailing Club.
- Start S2 is about 200m North of the car Park, across the dam.
- The stated Trail-O distance includes these extras, but the Wheelchair/White does not.
- Some courses finish at the other Start. eg. Blue and Wheelchair/White start at S1 and finish at S2; Green starts at S2 and finishes at S1.
- The Trail-O course first control is at Start S1. If you want to check your Trail-O answers, you can get them from the Downloads page.
How to get a map
- From some Oldham Countryside Centres –
Brownhill Countryside Centre – Tel: 0145 787 2598
Saddleworth Museum Shop – Tel: 0145 787 0336
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- Or order any map by post by downloading the Map order form
- K Car Park d Toilets Picnic areas
- Note – there is a parking charge unless you are an RSPB member.
- From Ashton-u-Lyne, take A635 (Huddersfield) to Greenfield. From mini roundabout at E side of Greenfield continue 700m along A635 to R fork on to reservoir road to reach car park.
- OS Grid Reference: SE 013 033. Postcode OL3 7NE gets you to the Sailing Club via the main car park. (Postcode OL3 7NN gets you to the Binn Green car park – halfway up the West side of the map)
Other useful information
- Ranger Tel: 07774 140872
- Oldham Council web site for Dove Stone
- Wikipedia entry for Dove Stone
- RSPB web site for Dove Stone
- Maintained by GMOA.
- Postwatchers, please click [replace id=”inpection_link_cl”] to submit your report.