- New! You can now record your run using the MapRun App on your Smartphone. Score points and share your results too. See the Smartphones page for details.
- Last checked September 2020. Everything OK. Vegetation is a problem at N, DD & Y. The path through the woods north from J is closed, but there are 2 alternatives.
- Watch out for shooting parties that may restrict access in some parts
- Trail-O issues: In view of the impossibility of maintaining acceptable Trail-O experiences, we have decided to give up on all our Trail-O courses (here and at Strinesdale and Bowlee). Maps can still be provided, but we don’t promise anything.
- (early 2019) … On the Trail O course all posts were visible at 1, 4, 5, 7, 10 & 12; 2 posts visible at 2 and 6; 1 post visible at 8 & 9; no posts visible at 3 & 11.
- (NB. May 2017: post P moved away from unpleasant litter; post EE moved away from bracken; post BB moved to below the fence. The old posts have been left in place, so old maps will still work for a while.)
Orienteering and Trail-O map details
- Orienteering map – A4 portrait, Scale 1:10000. Last updated April 2020.
- Trail-O map – A4 portrait, Scale 1:6000. Created 1999, last updated 2012.
- Start S1 is about 500m SouthEast of the Car Park, along the road past the Sailing Club.
- Start S2 is about 200m North of the car Park, across the dam.
- The stated Trail-O distance includes these extras, but the Wheelchair/White does not.
- Some courses finish at the other Start. eg. Blue and Wheelchair/White start at S1 and finish at S2; Green starts at S2 and finishes at S1.
- The Trail-O course first control is at Start S1. If you want to check your Trail-O answers, you can get them from the Downloads page.
How to get a map
Dove Stone waterproof print£1.25
Dove Stone PDF£1.25
Dove Stone Trail-O waterproof print£0.50
Dove Stone Trail-O PDF£0.50
Dove Stone MapRun Bundle 75min Score£2.00
- From some Oldham Countryside Centres –
Brownhill Countryside Centre – Tel: 0145 787 2598
Saddleworth Museum Shop – Tel: 0145 787 0336
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- Or order any map by post by downloading the Map order form
- K Car Park d Toilets Picnic areas
- Note – there is a parking charge unless you are an RSPB member.
- From Ashton-u-Lyne, take A635 (Huddersfield) to Greenfield. From mini roundabout at E side of Greenfield continue 700m along A635 to R fork on to reservoir road to reach car park.
- OS Grid Reference: SE 013 033. Postcode OL3 7NE gets you to the Sailing Club via the main car park. (Postcode OL3 7NN gets you to the Binn Green car park – halfway up the West side of the map)
Other useful information
- Ranger Tel: 07774 140872
- Oldham Council web site for Dove Stone
- Wikipedia entry for Dove Stone
- RSPB web site for Dove Stone
- Maintained by GMOA.
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.