- New! You can now record your run using the MapRun App on your Smartphone. Score points and share your results too. See the Smartphones page for details.
- Last checked March 2021. Everything OK, though repeated vandalism means that post V has had to be moved a few metres to the nearby gate.
- Special Challenge … identify the control that has been installed upside-down!
- Vegetation is a seasonal problem at N, DD & Y.
- Watch out for shooting parties that may restrict access in some parts.
- (NB. May 2017: post P moved away from unpleasant litter; post EE moved away from bracken; post BB moved to below the fence. The old posts have been left in place, so old maps will still work for a while.)
Orienteering map details
- Orienteering map – A4 portrait, Scale 1:10000. Last updated March 2021.
- Start S1 is about 500m SouthEast of the Car Park, along the road past the Sailing Club.
- Start S2 is about 200m North of the car Park, across the dam.
- The stated Wheelchair/White distance does not include these extras.
- Some courses finish at the other Start. eg. Blue and Wheelchair/White start at S1 and finish at S2; Green starts at S2 and finishes at S1..
How to get a map
Dove Stone waterproof print£1.25
Dove Stone PDF£1.25
Dove Stone MapRun Bundle 75min Score£2.00
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- K Car Park d Toilets X Picnic areas
- Note – there is a parking charge unless you are an RSPB member.
- From Ashton-u-Lyne, take A635 (Huddersfield) to Greenfield. From mini roundabout at E side of Greenfield continue 700m along A635 to R fork on to reservoir road to reach car park.
- OS Grid Reference: SE 013 033. Postcode OL3 7NE gets you to the Sailing Club via the main car park. (Postcode OL3 7NN gets you to the Binn Green car park – halfway up the West side of the map)
Other useful information
- Ranger Tel: 07774 140872
- Oldham Council web site for Dove Stone
- Wikipedia entry for Dove Stone
- RSPB web site for Dove Stone
- Maintained by GMOA.
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.