- Last checked end March 2017. All posts in place, but as the bracken grows Y may prove tricky.
- May 2017: post P moved away from unpleasant litter; post EE moved away from bracken; post BB moved to below the fence. (The old posts have been left in place, so old maps will still work for a while.)
- On the trail O course the bracken will again cause problems at 8 & 11 later in the year. CP3 has only 1 visible post, with no plate; CP11 has only 2 visible posts.
Orienteering and Trail-O map details
- Orienteering map – A4 portrait, Scale 1:10000. Last updated April 2017, to reflect work around Binn Green and rhododhendron clearances.
- Trail-O map – A4 portrait, Scale 1:6000. Created 1999, last updated 2012.
- Start S1 is about 500m SouthEast of the Car Park, along the road past the Sailing Club.
- Start S2 is about 200m North of the car Park, across the dam.
- The stated Trail-O distance includes these extras, but the Wheelchair/White does not.
- Some courses finish at the other Start. eg. Blue and Wheelchair/White start at S1 and finish at S2; Green starts at S2 and finishes at S1.
- The Trail-O course first control is at Start S1. If you want to check your Trail-O answers, you can get them from the Downloads page.
How to get a map
- From some Oldham Countryside Centres –
Brownhill Countryside Centre – Tel: 0145 787 2598
Saddleworth Museum Shop – Tel: 0145 787 0336
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- Or order any map by post by downloading the Map order form
- K Car Park d Toilets Picnic areas
- Note – there is a parking charge unless you are an RSPB member.
- From Ashton-u-Lyne, take A635 (Huddersfield) to Greenfield. From mini roundabout at E side of Greenfield continue 700m along A635 to R fork on to reservoir road to reach car park.
- OS Grid Reference: SE 013 033. Postcode OL3 7NE gets you to the Sailing Club via the main car park. (Postcode OL3 7NN gets you to the Binn Green car park – halfway up the West side of the map)
Other useful information
- Ranger Tel: 07774 140872
- Oldham Council web site for Dove Stone
- Wikipedia entry for Dove Stone
- RSPB web site for Dove Stone
- Maintained by GMOA.
- Postwatchers, please click [replace id=”inpection_link_cl”] to submit your report.