- Last checked January 2023. Everything OK, except forestry work continues, and S is just visible amongst brashings.
- Beware dodgy chicken wire on the boardwalk near R.
- March 2021 report – there’s undergrowth around K and U; felling at Y has made it hard to access the post. The area round N looks as if it is being prepped for felling.
- March 2019 – A slightly non-standard post X has been installed a short distance from where X was before felling disappeared it. New description is “wall corner”, about 100m NE of where it used to be. Having the latest map might be a good idea.
- An area of the forest near the path to Shutlingsloe has been cleared but the control in the area (Y) has survived.
Orienteering map details
- A4 Landscape, Scale 1:10000. Last updated April 2021 – some more recent forest clearances and MTB tracks now mapped.
- There is also an A3 map of the whole forest, but the POC stays within the Southern and Central two-thirds.
- The Start/Finish is at the NorthEast corner of the Ranger building in the visitor car park near the SouthWest corner of Trentabank reservoir.
How to get a map
Macclesfield Forest waterproof print£1.75
Macclesfield Forest PDF£1.75
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- K Car Park d Toilets X Picnic Area
- From the A523 at the southern edge of Macclesfield, follow signs to Langley. Continue through Langley village. Fork right at the Leather’s Smithy pub. The visitor centre is on the right after about 1 Km.
- OS Grid Reference: SJ 961 711 Nearest Postcode: SK11 0NS
- Public transport options
Other useful information
- Ranger Tel: 01260 252832
- Macclesfield Forest web site
- Wikipedia entry for Macclesfield Forest
- Maintained by GMOA
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.