- Last checked May 2023. Everything OK. Vegetation is growing fast !
- NB … the missing Start/Finish, post B and post K have all been replaced (nearby but not in exactly the same places) so you should probably get yourself a new map.
- NB … Y has been moved to the gateway above its old position, so make sure you get the latest map !
- Previously … control T is now a plaque on the fence/path junction 30m to the West; Control D has been moved out of the brambles onto the fence corner 50m to the south.
- And before that … the previous map update … All the paths in the Southern open area have been re-mapped, along with some other details; Post Z has been moved to a new feature so finding it should now be possible.
- Controls N and W may be overgrown in Summer.
Orienteering map details
- A4 Portrait, Scale 1:4000. Last updated November 2020.
- The Start/Finish is at the end of Gorse Hall Drive, just outside the park entrance. There is now a small parking area at the gate (it was a 200m walk from the old car park on Quarry Street which is no longer usable).
Gorse Hall Start/Finish plaque
How to get a map
Gorse Hall waterproof print£1.50
Gorse Hall PDF£1.50
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- K Car Park
- From B6175, Stalybridge, High Street, turn up Gorse Hall Street and hope to park in the small new car park at the park gate. Else turn up Quarry Street at the now-closed “The Stone Jug” pub and park near what used to be the Car Park on the left after about 125 metres as marked on the site map – the car park is currently blocked off but you can park safely on the road adjacent.
- OS Grid Reference: SJ 960 980, Nearest Post Code: SK15 1SH (old car park)
- Public transport options
Other useful information:
- Friends of Gorse Hall – Contact: Alan Pickles 07790 006345<
- Tameside MBC web site for Friends of Gorse Hall
- Friends of Gorse Hall web site
- Wikipedia entry for Gorse Hall
- Maintained by Friends of Gorse Hall and GMOA.
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.