- Last checked May 2023 – everything OK.
- STOP PRESS 1/10/2022 – posts E and M replaced with plaques on the adjacent fingerposts; post V left in its nest of brambles and new plaque V installed on nearby new bench.
- (Control N is a plaque on the entrance gate about 10m from its old position in a nest of brambles.)
- NB. The COVID testing station in the new Tameside Council car park has gone, and the car park is back to pay and display.
- NB. Cafe, toilets and play area are available across the road in the adjacent Stanford Park.
- Posts Q and I, having disappeared under the new car park, have been re-sited.
- Post B had disappeared and a new one installed 30m or so away from brambles – the old post had a memorial plaque affixed: JASON Died 23rd March 1997 Aged 9 Years R.I.P. The plaque has disappeared with the old post, but this note is a replacement of sorts – we suspect Jason may have been a pet.
Orienteering map details
- A4 Portrait, Scale 1:5000. Completely revised 2019 updated 2022.
- Courses start at the edge of the wood near the SouthEast corner of the Southern lake, and finish at the SouthWest corner. The Start is very close to the new Tameside Council car park.
How to get a map
Silver Springs waterproof print£1.50
Silver Springs PDF£1.50
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- K Car Park Pay and Display
- d Toilets Cafe z Playground These facilities are available in Stamford Park across Darnton Road from the Car Park and Start
- From M60 (J23) follow A635 E past Ashton-u-Lyne. From large roundabout (buildings within) at end of bypass, follow A670 (Mossley) for 1/2 mile to traffic lights. Turn R on to Darnton Road. Park is on L after 1/2 mile after passing Tameside Hospital.
- OS Grid Reference: SJ 957 951, Nearest Post Code: SK15 1NH
- Public transport options
Other useful information
- Park contact Tel: 01457 765 780
- Tameside MBC web site for the Tame Valley
- Tameside Council site for adjacent Stamford Park
- Parks and Gardens (Stamford Park)
- Maintained by GMOA
- Postwatchers, please click here to submit your report.