- Last checked August 2017 – significant disruption due to development work.
- V – has been moved along with its lion statue to just outside the Courtyard SE corner;
A – illegible due to rot;
Y2 – has gone missing under the widened new tarmac;
X – now inside a new pig enclosure;
D – missing;
TI – missing;
FL – missing;
The Upper plantations are still undergoing re-development for at least another year so more posts may go missing.
Orienteering map details
- Haigh Country Park – the full area – A4 Portrait, Scale 1:10000. Last updated 2014.
- Haigh Hall – the North end – A4 Portrait, Scale 1:6000. Last updated 2014.
- The map is in need of a major revision due to the rhododendron clearing and hotel development in the upper plantations. In particular, both sides of the road from S/F to A have been changed significantly. There are also new out of bounds areas due to areas being fenced off for pigs. The wooden bridge over Haigh Sough stream has now been reinstated. The track running parallel with the river Douglas is susceptible to flooding and is presently extremely muddy to traverse.
- The Start/Finish for both sets of courses is at a road junction in the NW corner of the map.
How to get a map
- From the Information Centre and cafe in park. Daily 8.30 – 3.30
- Or buy any map from Get a Map
- Or order any map by post by downloading the Map order form
- K Car Park d Toilets Cafe Picnic area
- NB. The car parking is Pay-and-Display
- From M61 (J6) follow A6 S for 300m to traffic lights. Turn R on to B5239 (Aspull). At large roundabout in Aspull go straight ahead and continue for 1/2 mile to sharp RH bend in Haigh village. Turn L here to reach carpark after 1/2 mile.
- OS Grid Reference: SD 597 088. Postcode: WN2 1PE
Other useful information
- Information Centre 01942 832895
- Wigan Council web site for Haigh Hall and Country Park
- Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust web site for Haigh Woodland Park
- Friends of Haigh Country Park web site
- Wikipedia entry for Haigh Hall (including Haigh Country Park)
- Visit North West web site for Haigh Hall and Haigh Country Park
- Maintained by GMOA.
- Postwatchers, please click [replace id=”inpection_link_cl”] to submit your report.