‘Get Out & Go‘ is a series of short films funded by SportEngland to take beginners through all the basics. All the skills and techniques shown in the films are easy to practise using our Permanent Courses. Click on a picture to go directly to that film:
Some earlier material along similar lines:
- A 5-minute Newcomer’s Guide to Orienteering by GB international Graham Gristwood.
- A 5-minute Discover an Outdoor Adventure introduction to Permanent Courses (which uses our very own Boggart Hole Clough to explain map symbols).
And finally, down to the serious stuff – “Think Fast Run Hard Go Orienteering” is a playlist of a series of 5-minute-ish films featuring GB Squad members each one focussed on a specific technique (which are also introduced in assorted words on our Orienteering Guide page). Links to the individual films:
- Setting the Map (Charlotte Ward)
- Using the Compass (Hector Haines)
- Attack Points (Megan Carter-Davies)
- Aiming Off (Charlotte Watson)
- Large Contour Features (Chris Smithard)
- Route Choice (Alice Leake)
- Intricate Contours (Kris Jones)
- Simplification (Ralph Street)
And of course, if you search for Orienteering on YouTube, all manner of other stuff from all over the world will come up.